Friday, February 8, 2013

Security "Equip"ment!

In securing one's home against intruders, one must first assess the danger entry points. A person secures their home because they have either experienced an intrusion, or intuition is guiding them to potential danger zones.We are to secure our heart in the same manner.  Proverbs 4: 23 tells us to "Keep thy heart with all diligence for out of it are the issues of life." If we are living in fear and insecurity we cannot accomplish God's plan for us.   He means for us to be tough and fight the good fight without timidity or fear. We are commanded to put His Word into our heart.  We must daily guard our heart and keep it secure!

To further assist in securing your heart, I offer a few tools which have equipped me in this ongoing battle of keeping my heart guarded. I am only free from fear when I am "EQUIP"ped! The moment I let my guard down, you-know-who tries to break in and steal my "stuff"! There is unequivocally NO tool more powerful than the Word of God.
Hebrews 4: 12-13
"For the Word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight; but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do."

The following is a list of scriptures, books, music, quotes, and quips that have led my thoughts as I have prayerfully begun this process of securing my heart against the dangers of fear and insecurity. I will use verses from the King James Version because it is where I begin all my studies and the version I use for all memorization.  If I need further explanation I usually go first to the Message, then to the Amplified and then on to the NIV and end up back again at the KJV! Just for further interpretation I may also read through several commentaries and concordances.  I love the Commentaries by John Phillips, and am currently enjoying the Strong's Concordance app!  I enjoy the YouVersion Bible app for iPhone and iPad as it has many versions as well as audio in several versions.  I also refer to Olive Tree Bible Study app because I like the easy Verse Chooser, and its resourses and commentaries.

The main scripture that keeps propelling me forward is as follows:

Matthew 25:14-30

King James Version (KJV)
"14 For the kingdom of heaven is as a man traveling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods.
15 And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey.
16 Then he that had received the five talents went and traded with the same, and made them other five talents.
17 And likewise he that had received two, he also gained other two.
18 But he that had received one went and digged in the earth, and hid his lord's money.
19 After a long time the lord of those servants cometh, and reckoneth with them.
20 And so he that had received five talents came and brought other five talents, saying, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me five talents: behold, I have gained beside them five talents more.
21 His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
22 He also that had received two talents came and said, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me two talents: behold, I have gained two other talents beside them.
23 His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
24 Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed:
25 And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine.
26 His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed:
27 Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury.
28 Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten talents.
29 For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath.
30 And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth."
It is through the study of this scripture that I realized God was calling me to something He had already placed in my hands to do.  He had equipped me, but I was afraid and buried my abilities instead of increasing them.  I now read this scripture often to propel myself forward.  I want to hear "Well done, thou good and faithful servant!"  I know my purpose and no longer walk in fear, but in trust!
 
 

The following are additional scriptures which I read, study, or often quote aloud:
 (no specific order)
Scriptures of EQUIPment:
  • Hebrews 12: 2 - "Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God."

  • Hebrews 12: 3 - "For consider Him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds."

  • Galatians 6: 9 - "And let us not be weary in well doing; for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not."

  • Hebrews 12:15 - "Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled."

  • Ephesians 4:31 - 'Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice."

  • Song of Solomon 8:6 - "Set me as a seal upon thine heart, as a seal upon thine arm; for love is strong as death; jealousy is cruel as the grave; the coals thereof are the coals of fire, which hath a most vehement flame."

  • II Timothy 2: 20-21
  • 20. - "But in a  great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour.
  • 21. - If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work."

  • Proverbs 16: 18 - "Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall."

  • James 5: 16 - "Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed.  The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much."

  • Ephesians 6: 16 - "Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked."

  • II Timothy 1:7 - 'For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."

  • James 4:7 - "Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you."

  • Ephesians 6:10-18
10. "Finally, my bretheren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might.
11. Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
12. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
13. Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God that ye may be able to withstand in the evil days, and having done all to stand,
14. Stand therefore,having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
15. And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
16. Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
17. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
18. Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;"

  • John 16:24 - "Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name; ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full."

  • Philippians 1: 6 - "Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ."

  • Psalm 51:10 - "Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit with in me."

  • Psalm 51;12 - "Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit."

We can find thousands of tools of Security Equipment in His Word, but these are the tools God used to speak to me. As you dig deep into your heart and into His WORD you will find Him speaking to you in so many more areas.
Which brings me to my favorite all time scripture. It just seems to cover ALL!

Philippians 4: 13  "I can do ALL things through Christ which strengtheneth me."
I interpret it two ways:
1:  I can do anything He asks me to do because He will give me the strength to do it.
2: I can do all things GOING through Christ (by taking everything to Him), and He will equip me to do anything because it strengthens me to come to Him!


Books I read while on this journey which address this subject matter.
  1.   "Courage, 100 verses for your daily journey."  published by Freeman Smith.  A  devotional book which is a compilation of scripture, and quotes and quibs by various authors and speakers.
  2. "So long, Insecurity!" by Beth Moore
  3. "So long, Insecurity Group Experience Leaders Guide" by Beth Moore
  4. "Do it Afraid" by Joyce Meyer
  5. "Eat the Cookie, Buy the Shoes" by Joyce Meyer
  6. "The Courageous Woman" Devotional by Joyce Meyer
  7. "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand
  8. "The Noticer" by Andy Andrews
  9. "The Butterfly Effect" by Andy Andrews
  10. "The Freedom of Self-Forgetfulness" by Timothy Keller
  11. "More to Life" Bible Study by UPCI
  12. "Alive in Him" by UPCI
  13. "Keepers of God's Dream" - by Joy Haney
  14. "Put on Your Warcoat and Fight" by Joy Haney
  15. "The Complete Works of E. M. Bounds on Prayer " By Edward M. Bounds


A few quotes and quips that have kept me spurred on:

  • "You can't unscramble eggs!"  I heard a message by Billy Graham where he said this.
  • "The best is yet to be!" - Corrie Ten Boom
  • "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" - John Wayne
  • "Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway!" - John Wayne
  • "The only way you can experience abundant life is to surrender your plans to Him." -Charles Stanley
  • "Are you fearful? First, bow your head and pray for God's strength. Then, raise your head and look Old Man Trouble squarely in the eye.  Chances are, Old Man Trouble will blink."  - Jim Gallery


Finally I will end on this note!
Joshua 1:9
"Have I not commanded thee?  Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed; for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest!"
 
There are NO acceptable EXCUSES for living in fear or uncertainty in your walk with God or for not thriving in the areas He wants to use you. Trust in Him, and if you are afraid, Saddle up, anyway!








2 comments:

Lori Green said...

Right on target. No excuses. Just dig deeper. Don't be stupid! I loved this!!

Judy Gandy said...

I absolutely loved this analogy!!! You are awesome!